have a surplus of summer squash in your kitchen? you NEED this 30 minute recipe in your life!
I've been OBSESSED with squash all summer because there's so many different varieties to try while they are in season here in California! I found these organic maya squash at my local farmer's market and I knew I just had to create a recipe with them.
BOLD spices. immune-boosting VITAMINS. plus of course it's:
#refinedsugarfree! what more could you want!
ready to start cooking? here we go!
SPICED CHICKPEA & LENTIL STUFED SQUASH RECIPE
serving size: 4 people
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
4 maya squash (or another type of squash or you could try pumpkin too!)
1 small jar of tomato paste (or a small can of diced tomatoes without any preservatives)
1 can of chickpeas
1 can of lentils
1 white onion
4 cloves of garlic
1 small lemon or lime
2 tsp ginger powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1. boil a large pot of water. when it's boiling, throw in your squash whole and cook for 10 minutes. remove from heat and let cool.
2. dice up your onions and garlic. throw in a non-toxic, non-stick pan on medium heat with a little bit of water (or oil if you prefer). cook for about 6-7 minutes until onions are translucent.
3. add all your spices and mix around for about 1 minute to release the aromas.
4. add in the tomato paste (or diced tomatoes). then add in the chickpeas and lentils. mix everything together for another minute and then remove from heat.
5. take your squash and cut off the tops then scoop out the inside. fill with your chickpea lentil mixture. add a squeeze of fresh lemon/lime, garnish with chopped cilantro, then enjoy!
happy cooking! don't forget to share this with friends and tag me on instagram (@livewellwitharielle) if you try my recipe because I'd love to see! also check out my health coaching services on my site if you need more individualized support on your healing journey! :) love, arielle